June is here and if you haven’t planned the maintenance of your log cabin, then you should start doing it immediately. Many people tend to ignore the importance of a well-maintained log cabin and then they have to incur huge expenses later on. It is best to lend importance to small things on a timely basis so that your log cabin is maintained throughout the year. June is often considered the best time of the year to take a thorough look at the log cabin to check for anything that might need sealing or replacing. The best way to check the log cabin is by calling in a professional. However, you can also look at some things by yourself like rust at the joints, cracks in the wooden planks, plants in the garden and many other things.
As a log cabin is made of wood and other elements that take quite a beating from nature from time to time, you have to be sure that you are taking all the right measures to protect them from the harsh environment. This not only helps you to keep your log cabin looking like new, but it also increases the life of the wood and the other materials that have been used for the construction of the cabin. Here in this article, we discuss some of the methods and areas that you should keep an eye on to ensure the right maintenance of your cabin in June.
* The design of a log home matters a great deal when it comes to its overall maintenance. If you are planning to get your log cabin made, then you can add some elements that will help you in the future. Always build the log cabin at a height of at least 6 inches off the ground. If you have a cabin in the forest, then it is recommended that the height of the cabin must be at least 24-25 inches to prevent it from insect infestation.
* Use long wooden roof overhangs. This saves the design and protects the wood against the elements in all seasons. Even if you have treated wood, go for a design that has lots of overhangs.
* Never let water flow from near the cabin. Many people have water channels below their log cabin but this must be avoided at all cost. Take the recommendation of a good general contractor when it comes to what are the best gutters.
* The best way to save the wood from insects and water is to keep it away from the ground. Use inorganic materials like rocks below the wood to prevent it from absorbing moisture directly from the ground.
* Avoid using pine straw, wood mulch and other ground covers in the construction. This increases the likelihood of an infestation of termites and other insects.
* Always maintain a diary to record when the last check was done to keep a tab on the maintenance check.
Landscape Around the Log Cabin
Clear all fallen trees and branches from around the log cabin. As they attract wood boring insects and termites, they might infect the wood of the log cabin.
* If there are any branches coming over the top of your cabin, then cut them to ensure that they are not allowing any insects inside the cabin.
* When planting plants around the cabin, make sure that they are at least 3-5 feet away from the side walls. Air must circulate freely around the cabin and these plants might hamper the flow of it.
The ground around the cabin must have a bit of a slope for the first 6 feet. This will ensure that all the collected water will flow away from the cabin.
* If there was a proper slope in the ground during the construction of the cabin, still you have to keep a check on the slope from time to time. As this slope becomes flat with time, use gravel to restore the slope around the cabin.
* Make sure that you have a run off for the rain water.
* To keep water hazards at bay, install a French drain. These pipes will allow the moisture to stay away from the log cabin and channel them away.
To make sure that you are keeping all the moisture away from the wood, you have to properly seal the cabin. You can use a log wash solution along with sanding and power washing, depending on what the condition of your logs is. You can obtain professional help on this.
* If you are cleaning the walls with a solution, then always wash from top to bottom. Always rinse the solution thoroughly from the walls.
* Wait for the walls to become completely dry and then apply the borate preservative. After application, make sure that you apply stains to the walls.
* Regardless of the profile and the construction of the logs, you need to apply some caulking to the surface. The sealant must be compatible with the stain that you have applied before. If you are not sure about this process, then call in the professionals to do the job for you.
* If you see any termites, immediately call in the professionals for the treatment of the wood.
* If you notice any nests of carpenter ants, then locate their nests and destroy the nests immediately. If not done in time, they will destroy the wood of the cabin.
Roof And Exposed Parts
* Inspect the corners of the woods and other areas of the ceiling that often are neglected. Seal the exposed plumbing vents and use tar to seal the edges on the roof.
* If you have exposed timbers, then ensure that they are properly stained and sealed. If you have any doubts about the process, call in the professionals to take care of the exposed parts around the cabin.