Are you sure you want to perform this action?
Insulation of a prefabricated wooden building, whether it’s a garden room, an outdoor office or residential wooden cabin, is one of the most important factors of comfort and all year long use. Every aspect of it – insulating walls, roof, floor with prime quality materials as well as double-glazed windows and doors – is equally important. Let’s look at all the benefits of high-quality insulation in detail:
• Ability to live in your cabin all year long
Whether you’re looking for a permanent residence or a temporary garden office to complete your work tasks, an insulated building is one that you can easily visit any time of the year without having to prepare for unsuitable conditions.
• Cutting down your energy costs
Due to the natural insulation properties of the wood, the inside of the log cabin quickly heats up throughout the day and retains the heat well, allowing you to dramatically save on energy costs and enjoy the cosy atmosphere.
• Preserving your wooden buildings from moisture
Humidity around the house can cause mould, decay, discolouration and structural damage – proper insulation is highly advised if you’re building your model in damper climates.
• Keeping your belongings safe
Proper insulation would also be highly beneficial for storage spaces like wooden sheds or garages, so that your items are kept at optimal temperature and remain in perfect condition.
How does insulation work?
Insulation is an extra layer of specifically designed, thick material to manage the thermal, acoustic, and moisture conditions of the building. The material is put in between the boards – that’s why the wall has to have at least a few layers to be insulated. In our case, the models that we offer to insulate are models with a double wall, and models with a single wall and timber cladding. The SIPs models come with an insulated panel in between the interior and exterior cladding layers.
1. Single log wall with vertical timber cladding with insulation
2. Insulated double log wall (twin skin) with insulation
3. Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs) with interior & exterior wood trim
What are my insulation options?
For your convenience and cost-efficiency, you can select among two insulation versions. The main difference between the basic version and the advanced version is the thickness of the insulation material:
• The basic insulation version features 25 mm thickness PIR insulation material used for the walls, the roof and the floor. This version is great for insulating regular log cabins, especially the ones for seasonal use, such as summer houses or vacation homes. Cabin insulation prevents the house from overheating during the summer months, while in the colder months, fewer energy resources are required to reach the optimal indoor temperature.
• The advanced insulation version (Insulation PLUS) is fully compliant with residential building thermal insulation requirements and features 120 mm PIR thickness insulation material used for the walls, 175 mm thickness insulation material used for the roof, and 200 mm thickness – for the floor. The thicker material ensures better thermal insulation, so you can expect all year round comfort and cosiness. Advanced insulation also guarantees utmost energy efficiency of the building (the same or even higher than in regular metal or concrete constructions), ensures sustainability and environmental friendliness of the solution. What is more, it helps to reduce the indoor moisture levels to a minimum and provides superb noise insulation, which is essential for your residential comfort.
Insulation in log wall construction buildings
We offer buildings with different construction types, but when it comes to insulation, the principle remains the same – the insulation material comes in between the boards, whether it’s a twin skin log cabin or a single skin building with cladding. Let’s take a look at the components that impact the level of insulation the most:
• Wall Insulation
The insulation boards are placed in between the walls, precisely fitting them together with a foil tape and leaving the air gap for ventilation next to the outer wall. The standard wall insulation thickness at Quick-garden.co.uk is 25 mm PIR for basic insulation and 120 mm PIR for advanced insulation.
• Roof Insulation
The insulation boards are fitted in between the roof boards and the roof coverings (bitumen shingles, metal roofing or EPDM covering) – the standard roof insulation thickness at Quick-garden.co.uk is 25 mm PIR for basic insulation and 175 mm PIR for advanced insulation.
• Floor Insulation
The log cabin floor insulation is fitted right underneath the floorboards, between the joists, fixing the gaps with a foil tape. Depending on your preferred insulation package, insulation boards of the selected width are fitted between the floor joists. The standard floor insulation thickness is 25 mm PIR for basic insulation and 200 mm PIR for advanced insulation.
• Windows and doors
Our cabin kits arrive with double-glazed windows and doors – depending on your preferences, you can choose wooden or PVC ones. The latter ones are recommended for high-quality thermal and noise insulation and long-lasting use. PVC windows and doors also have a sleek, minimalistic look, and the floor-to-ceiling structures add a lot of brightness to any model.
Mobile home insulation
Mobile homes are a part of our log construction assortment, and there are some specifics that every buyer should know. Firstly, more lenient planning permission conditions apply to mobile homes, making them easier to meet. Secondly, these buildings also feature 100 mm PIR thickness insulation for the floor, roof, and walls, which is a lot thicker than the basic insulation version of 25 mm. This guarantees all year round comfort for mobile home lovers.
SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels) construction type uses OSB3 panels with the insulation material (polystyrene foam) in the middle. The walls are insulated with 100 mm thickness EPS insulation, the floor with 50 mm thickness XPS insulation, and the roof with 150 mm thickness EPS insulation material. The high-quality materials add to the impressive longevity of the building. The PVC windows and doors are included in the price, which makes any model made with SIPS technology the best value for money.
To elucidate further, SIPs technology’s structural characteristics ensure high performance and reliable thermal insulation. Besides the aforementioned panels with thick foam in the middle, the vertical exterior cladding and internal tongue & groove wall cladding lock the heat inside and ensure the building’s maximum thermal efficiency. Expect excellent moisture proofing and heat protection properties from our SIPs models!
What is usually included in the price?
• You can buy both log construction buildings and SIPs construction buildings with insulation.
• If you choose a log construction building with basic insulation, the insulation material plus double-glazed windows and doors will be included in the price.
• On the other hand, SIPs construction buildings offer high-quality insulation – the insulation material, EPDM roof coating, breathable membrane and 9 mm thickness OSB sheets are all included in the price.
• When it comes to the advanced insulation version, insulation material and PVC windows and doors are included in the price.
If you have any questions about our insulated models, feel free to reach out to us by phone at +44 20 7099 4301 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org