What are log cabin kits and are they easy to build? These are just two of the most important questions that need to be answered when planning to build your dream log house. There is a revival of the trend in timber houses and residential cabins which highlight the need for a more laidback and rustic lifestyle. A log home is a dwelling in the bosom of nature and nowadays, it is easier to make your own wooden house with the help of modern and complete log cabin kits.
Fundamentals of Log Cabin Kits
There are different types of kits for log homes, all with a varied approach to building, content, all with their own pros and cons. One of the most important things to consider is how to choose a log cabin kit that suits your needs and preferences. Before making a purchase, always think about your cabin goals as well as your property in general. What exactly is the reason why you want or need a log cabin? What style of log cabin do you prefer?
Here are some other important things to look into that could mainly influence the log cabin kits that are ideal for you:
* Property Quirks. This would include the trees, foliage, or the elevation that are already existent in your property. All of these are salient factors to consider and must be accommodated during the construction of the wooden structure. They also dictate the types of log cabin kits that are ideal to purchase.
* Personal Investment. There are various resources you need to invest in your log homes, such as your time, money, and energy. When choosing a log cabin kit, think about the amount of effort, time, and money you are willing and could realistically put into the project.
* Cabin Foundation. Log cabin kits are different especially in terms of catering to varied foundations and bases. For instance, are you amenable to doing deep excavation or would you prefer a shallower base or foundation? There are kits that are designed for different foundations thus your preference regarding this factor could dictate the kit you need.
* Planning and Building Permits. Zoning ordinances, building codes, planning, and building permits are just a few of the important things to consider when looking for the best log cabin kit. What are the requirements you need to meet and do you have the luxury of time to secure all these permits? Some log cabin kits are only for smaller log houses and structures that would not require any permits while others are bigger and more complex constructions.
* Allocated Budget. One of the most important factors to consider is your budget or financial resources. How much money can you afford to spend on a log cabin kit? Make sure you also include in your calculations the money you need to spend not just now but for future expenditures as well. Some kits are affordable but with limited contents, while others are more complete with much more expensive.
Log Cabin Kits – The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Log cabin experts know the good and bad side of investing in this particular type of dwelling or structure. Timber houses are quite popular then and now but these structures are not for everyone. Some people find log houses their ultimate dream haven, while others don’t like the idea of living in a wooden home. Just like any other constructions, log cabins have their own strengths and weaknesses. Moreover, log cabin kits could also offer advantages as well as disadvantages in the long run.
Advantages of Log Cabin Kits
The top appeal of going for a log cabin kit is the opportunity for you to build your own home. It gives you a sense of personal fulfilment knowing that you have created your very own house in your desired location. Your log house is your legacy in the midst of mass production and seemingly generic structures in the world of real estate and property ownership. It is your unique print and proof that you can actually do it on your own.
Log Cabin Kits and Environmental Footprint
If you are an advocate of nature and the environment, then buying a log cabin kit for your cabin construction is a must. Using log cabin kits means skipping the use of heavy equipment and resources that have maximum impact on the environment. particularly the wildlife and trees. There are eco-friendly kits that may even include solar panels, wood stoves, and composting toilets.
Adaptable Log Cabin Kits
A cabin kit is versatile and adaptable, depending on your needs and preferences. You can choose a cabin size that is not bigger than a studio apartment or something rather larger if you have the space to allocate. Different kits have varied features to perfectly adapt and suit the existing space and resources you have.
Disadvantages of Log Cabin Kits
Cabin kits also have their share of risks and drawbacks such as the uniformity in the logs that could affect their long-term stability. When removing the surface and bark irregularities, the logs become vulnerable to rotting and other elements such as termites, making them of lower quality. Thus, in order to remedy the machine-peeled log problems with log cabin kits, it is imperative that you treat the wood with chemical sealants every few years.
Some log cabin kits may also have ecological appeal and aesthetic problems due to the generic looks of the wood or log. The logs in your cabin kit may lack the “personality” that wood is best known for. Moreover, the cost is a known disadvantage when you prefer a log cabin kit simply because the components are already bundled together. For instance, there could be potential hidden costs in bundled supplies, especially if the supplier is not trustworthy.
Investing in log cabin kits is one of the best options you have to easily build and achieve your dream log house. Nevertheless, there are important factors you need to carefully consider in order to maximize the benefits you can get from building your log home with a log cabin kit.